I was needing some comfort food, so apple fritters were the obvious choice for dinner. Most people, including Chris for many years, think it’s crazy that our family who usually eats very balanced meals can justify essentially donuts for dinner, but to me it’s totally normal. Served with cheese, bacon, and a big glass of milk, I say it’s perfectly acceptable!
Here is the electronic version of the recipe, since my mom’s looks like this.
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp melted butter
4 large apples
2 cups oil for frying
1. Combine all ingredients, except apples, in a mixing bowl.
2. Peel and core apples.
3. Cut apples into small pieces and mix into batter.
4. Place a spoonful of batter into hot oil.
5. Fry until brown on one side; turn until brown on the other (about 5 minutes). The goal is to fry until the apples are tender.
6. Shake in powder sugar if desired and enjoy!