For dinner tonight, I had the idea for mozzarella stuffed pesto chicken. I didn’t take a picture, but it was delicious and simple, so I wanted to share anyways! Everything is very estimated, but that’s part of the beauty of the recipe!
Mozzarella Stuffed Pesto Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons pesto (I used Kirkland refrigerated pesto from Costco)
- 2 cloves crushed garlic (mine came from a TJ jar)
- 1 tbsp Sherry cooking wine (or just use whatever you have)
- a little salt and pepper
- 2 1/3 in slices of fresh mozzarella
- Thaw chicken if it is frozen, then pound it as flat as you can. I loosely wrap a chicken breast in saran wrap, place it on a cutting board, and then pound it with my fist. Pretty scientific I know!)
- Place the chicken in a gallon ziplock bag with the pesto, garlic, Sherry, salt and pepper.
- Marinate for 5ish hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish with sides (i.e. Corningware or pyrex)
- Set the mozzarella on one half of the chicken breast, and then fold the other half on top. Secure the chicken closed with a few toothpicks.
- Repeat with the other chicken breast.
- Bake until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165, roughly 40 minutes (read very roughly, check temperature often).
I served the chicken with roasted brussels sprouts and eggplant.